Why is it important for schools, colleges and academies to be aware of harmful sexual behaviour?
This is the first episode in the NSPCC three-part series about harmful sexual behaviour.
This episode (27 mins) will help you to understand:
- what healthy, problematic and harmful behaviours are and how you can respond appropriately
- the issues schools, colleges and academies are currently seeing and why there’s an increase in sexualised behaviour in young people
- how children and young people are affected, including those who display sexualised behaviour
- what you can do to balance needs so that safeguarding is prioritised without affecting education.
Gain an insight into assessing high and lower level sexual behaviour concerns in schools
This is the second episode in the NSPCC three-part series about harmful sexual behaviour.
This episode (30 mins) will help you to understand:
- how assessments such as the AIM assessment are used to determine levels of risk and where they should be applied
- why it’s important to integrate responses to sexualised behaviour into your wider policies and overarching strategy
- how to address serious harmful behaviours and when a referral should be made to a service for an assessment
- what actions to take when lower level behaviour concerns are displayed and how to minimise risks going forward
- why it’s vital to keep your professional knowledge and training up-to-date.
How to prevent and effectively respond to harmful sexual behaviour (HSB) in schools, academies and colleges
This is the third episode in the NSPCC three-part series about harmful sexual behaviour.
This episode (29 mins) will help you to understand:
- delivering PSHE education programmes and relationships and sex education (RSE)
- providing the right support for young people in educational settings, the wider community or online
- what you can do to help staff in dealing with peer-on-peer sexualised behaviour and peer-on-peer abuse
- how you can support parents and carers in creating safer environments for their children
- the importance of working collaboratively with external services such as the police or children’s services.
NSPCC Learning Podcasts
The NSPCC Learning Podcasts series explores a variety of different child protection issues and invites contributors from the NSPCC and external organisations to talk about what they are doing to keep children and young people safe.