Seeing the Child is designed to support anyone who is working with a child or young person in need. It forms part of the pack of resources titled The Developing World of the Child although it can stand alone and is available in print. It can also be downloaded from www.nspcc.org.uk.
The purpose of Seeing the Child is to provide a practical tool for practitioners undertaking an assessment of a child’s development and continuing work with a child and family.
The notebook can be used in the following ways:
- prior, during or following a visit where it is important that each child’s stage of development is understood as fully as possible.
- to contribute to an initial or core assessment in line with the Assessment Framework, in particular the child’s developmental needs.
- as a reflective tool for use in supervision between the practitioner and supervisor, and in team development.
- to contribute to analysis, planning, intervention and reviewing of a child’s situation.
- to support knowledge-based practice, as a contribution to decision making in reports to child protection conferences, court hearings, reviews and in other situations.